If you follow Dr. Oz’s teachings, you know how he is revolutionizing the way we look at health. He keeps us up with various health threats and how we can even fight cancer through nutrition and diet.
Now he is showing us the secrets to longevity. He’s done this study on his show before by going to places where people easily live over 95 years of age, and studying why. Their diets and daily routines were studied along with other factors.
Dr. Oz gives his findings in the reference below. I also included Men’s Health that includes more secrets and information on living to a healthy old age. To be fair, people with bad habits such as smoking, eating wrong foods and leading an inactive lifestyle have reached ripe old ages. Still, the odds are against them!
- Avoid eating out or fast food. You’ll save money and cut down on unhealthy foods. If you must, though, increase vegetable and fruit portions and decrease the other foods. Sodium and trans fat are high and out of control in restaurant foods and most portions give more than the daily required 1200 calories.
- Eat no more than 18 ounces of red meat a week. Avoid nitrate loaded deli meats. Eat red meat no more than once a week.
- Drink a glass of water before a meal.
- Potassium fights salt, so increase your fruits and vegetables that contain potassium. Decrease your salt intake as much as possible, and be aware of salt content in all packaged foods you buy.
- Canned salmon contains more omega 3 than canned salmon, if you go that route.
- Add nuts and seeds to your salad rather than croutons. Use olive oil and balsamic vinegar rather than processed salad dressing that will be more than just one serving-1 tbl. spoon.
- Start a food journal and write everything you consume as far as both food and drink. Watch for portion size.I’m sure there are a lot more ways that I will discuss in the future. But these should hold you for now. Eventually, I’ll start giving recipes.